To plan or not to plan?


Werkin' it at Niyom's Orchid Farm, photographed by our guide Pook on a very much planned Airbnb-experience.

My improv days are over. If there’s anything I learned from my last trip it’s that I need to be planning MORE and EARLIER. Yes, my «everthing’s gonna turn alright» and «when I don’t plan too much unexpected things can happen» was charming for a while - but from which experience was I talking from? Have I ever tried to plan a trip from A to B all the way to Z?

This doesn’t mean that planning eeeeverything is good, only that I wanna try and see how that feels like.

When I came to Bangkok in Thailand I found out that I wanted to eat at Gaggan, No. 1 in Asia’s 50 best restaurants. Not to mention that chef Gaggan Anand plans to close the restaurant in 2020. Of course he has other plans - but this particular restaurant is closing, and this might have been my only chance to eat there. However, when I tried to make a reservation I quickly realized I was too late. The first available dates were at the end of March. I’ve known I was going to Thailand since January - I could have had a chance, also maybe not, either way I’ll never find out.

Of course there are other examples like this; me not reading all the reviews for different Airbnbs/hotels properly, before after I have made the booking. It also has to do with the fact that I’m in a different mind set when I’m home vs. on vacation. At home I think «I’ll just save some money at don’t eat at fancy restaurants» and «should I travel to other cities? Nah too stressful».

This has to stop.

***

After writing this post on my phone, thinking I’d publish it later, other stuff happened. I tried to plan the next day to the very detail, and of course nothing went according to plan, and I gotta say, I got more stressed out than the times I half plan things and wing it.

So, next time I’ll do the exact same thing as this time, only I’ll plan to see other cities and book a dinner to a fancy restaurant or a street food joint with Michelin stars that might be closing.

Solo travel girl out!

Comments

  1. I have found that my best trips have been the really super planned out ones. As much as I just want to go somewhere and stumble upon interesting and fun things randomly, it almost never works out for me. You just have to find what kind of travel planning works best for you I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Travelling increases the understanding of people.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

7 cool & fun spots to hang out in Los Angeles

A badass Berlin guide

Solo travelling - Why you should try it