3 things to do in Rome

I had a weekend in Rome with my friend Dang.

Yes, we did all the touristy stuff like seeing Fontana Di Trevi and waving to the Pope at the Vatican as cray pop music played loudly from the speakers, and yes it was lush and breathtaking when we got inside of Saint Peter's Basilica, BUT there are three other experiences I would rather highlight.

1. BEST PIZZA

Of course you have to eat pizza when in Italy, and we ended up doing that at a cute little place called Dar Poeta in Trastevere (which is a charming area to explore anyways), and OMG what a pizza! I ordered a margherita, and it was honestly sooo good! It had a thin crust and the chilli flakes they added made this margherita maybe the sexiest margherita pizza ever made. Go there for pizza, and if the sun is shining, sit outside. And also, be sure to book beforehand.

A charming area called Trastevere, in Rome, Italy.
One of the charming hidden corners in Trastevere, on our way to Dar Poeta.


 2. LUSH CHURCH

After our pizza, we walked around and it's pretty much a coincident that we decided to check out Santa Maria della Scala, also located in Trastevere. The church was built between 1593 and 1610 to honor a miraculous icon of the Madonna, according to our friend Wikipedia.

Even though the Vatican was amazing and I'm glad I got to experience that, I fell more in love with this church. It's small, more "available", and I don't know what it is about some churches, but they make me feel so peaceful.

Beautiful Santa Maria della Scala, located in Trastevere, Rome, Italy.

3. ALWAYS END THE DAY WITH ICE CREAM

And where should you get that ice cream? At Giolitti Gelateria. We went there twice, and I would argue that our plan to eat ice cream there on our last day is the reason we ended up loosing our flight back to Oslo. But, hey, one more day in Rome!

Giolitti, established in 1900, is one of the most famous gelateria in Rome. Their original store is located at Pantheon and they also have other sweets. Plan ahead what you want, because you have to pay someone sitting near the exit, get a "ticket" which you then give to one of the ice cream-men (or ladies, but there weren't any ice cream-ladies when I was there).

They had a lot of customers and the men working behind the counter were shouting like Italian men do in the movies, and I felt like I had to think quickly which flavor to go for. I went for two flavors (chocolate being one of them), but according to Time you should go for three flavors on a medium cone, and they recommend bacio, pistachio and nocciola for a creamy, nutty, chocolate-touched delight.

Enjoy!

Giolitti Gelateria, the most famous gelateria in Rome, Italy. This is their original store, located at Pantheon.


Comments

  1. Of course. I might go there just for the pizza itself..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard nothing quite compares to the pizza in Rome. You're triggering my wanderlust so bad! Someday I'll get to Italy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true. I hope you make it to Italy! I want to go back and travel to more cities!

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh pizza and gelato are on top of my list when I get to visit Rome one day too! I want to taste the authentic Italian pizza and gelato!

    xo, Janine | Off-Duty Mama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to go! Next time I wanna see more of Italy and visit other cities.

      Delete
  4. Absolutely love Rome and can’t wait to go back there. It’s such a great place and even better food 😋

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your post. Short and simple with key points of Pizza, Churches and Gelato. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks, I like to keep it short & sweet sometimes.

      Delete
  6. The Santa Maria della Scala has been on my travel list for a long while...there is just so much history and artistry in that architectural masterpiece
    - Nandita

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't make it to the church, but I love the pizza and the gelato.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am all about the pizza if I am visiting Rome! It is such a great place to visit. You really provided some great things to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to hear that! I'm all about pizza too :P

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

7 cool & fun spots to hang out in Los Angeles

A badass Berlin guide

Solo travelling - Why you should try it