Eco-friendly travel


For the first time in my life, I’m doing interrail!

2017 and 2018 were my “big travel years”, I travelled solo for the first time, and I travelled to destinations like Japan, Bali, Thailand and USA just to mention a few. There was something extremely liberating about finally visiting the places I’ve been dreaming about going to for ages, not to mention meeting new people all around the world, but after a while I started to feel strange, maybe even guilty. Like I was doing something wrong.

I’ve always thought of myself as someone who cares about our planet, and even though I’m no expert I’ve been eager to learn more about how I can make better choices, when it comes to our climate and environment. So after my trip to Bangkok, I realised that flying all the way from Norway to Thailand might not have been the most eco-friendly choice. At that exact moment I decided that fulfilling my dreams weren’t a priority anymore. I would choose to travel more locally, and I wouldn’t travel by plane anymore, as far as possible.

That is why I am so happy that I’m travelling by train this time. Remember my friend Sverre? The one I went to Japan with? Well, we are going to Gothenburg, Copenhagen, Hamburg, Bremen, and Amsterdam by train.

Trains use 50% less fuel per passenger than planes for the same trips, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Bus travel is an even eco-friendlier alternative though. It also turns out, that trains almost always beat planes: Cheaper, faster and less CO2-intensive. My only hope now is that the governments around the world invest more in high-speed rail, and that they keep the environment in mind. That would be awesome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 cool & fun spots to hang out in Los Angeles

A badass Berlin guide

Solo travelling - Why you should try it